A NEW YEAR, A NEW ME -- HOPEFULLY

Every year when September rolls around I think I have a few chances to reinvent myself, and until this year, I don't think I ever truly realized what that meant. Now that I have love in my life, and a commited relationship between us that only grows stronger, I want what I do to matter, not just for the moment, or for a legacy, but for it to improve the way I live my life. I don't want to have any more regrets.


What I have always enjoyed, and alternately found challenging about being a curator, is working with artists, working with ideas, and engaging with both in a way that expands the possibility for communication. The art community is both vast and amorphous, and its mixed social, economic, and ideology based groups do not easily commingle. I mean to address this fact and change it.

I have two current projects and each will address the innate qualities of communication in a way that I have never done before. One is a series of studio based exhibitions that involve daily events, bringing a small group of artists together under a simple theme with varieties of expression and ideologies approaching it. STUDIO SALON is part 2 of something I started a year ago and was never quite satisfied with. The exhibition lasts for 4 days, with one event each evening, first introducing the work; then getting the artists to talk about it; then getting artists professionals involved; finally ending with creative expressions that could only add to the mix, and create a phenomenon which, despite its brevity, will contain more focus and context and texture than any month long exhibition with a single reception could ever hope to achieve.See the blog link above for details.

The second project is PLAYSPACE, an art magazine that combines visual art, criticism, and creative writing in a print publication. I have always had a desire to create magazines, and have had a few in my past: two in college, The Visionary and The Moody Street Review, both for poetry, and some art. Later I failed to publish subsequent issues of MSR and they still languish in a drawer somewhere. I also wanted to publish the work of individual writers, but I lacked funds, and I didn't know who would want them. So I organized readings at my exhibitions, and promoted their other events whenever I could. Now with the collaboration of my fiancee, Michele Basora, I can make a dream come true. I can bring all the different artists together, promote and disseminate their ideas and forms of expression, and let the art world, and hopefully the greater world, see what real vision is all about.

The third project is my own writing, primarily for blogs that I have started. One that I am especially hopeful for is STUDIO JOURNAL, in which I recount the experiences I have as a curator visiting artists in their studios. I like it because it gives me a chance to be honest about the moments when I am most inspired by another person's creativity, and it promotes them instead of a gallery.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Around

Just Another Day