I am not given to understand everything about my life at the same time. Some truths may never be spoken, while others shake me to my core. The wellspring of my origins is always around me. The implements I use: a pen, a comb, a book I may be reading, these are all useful but they are also essential and in their own way beautiful. The stirrings of a soul in motion aptly and subtly described is the story most worth making known.
I just read today that Peter Orlovsky died. Not that I ever knew him. He was a poet and the half-century partner to Allen Ginsberg, whose seminal poem "Howl" is dedicated to him. They met through the painter Robert LaVigne, one of the characters in Robert Frank and Alfred Leslie's art film PULL MY DAISY . The story is that Orlovsky was modeling for LaVigne and Ginsberg had already fallen in love with his portrait before the real man walked in the door. They travelled together for many years, Peter following Allen on his travels to Algiers and India. In my teens, twenties, and onward I had a great fascination for the Beat Generation, and I wrote my Bachelor's thesis on Jack Kerouac . My college was located only two towns over from Lowell, Massachusetts. As a budding writer with similar dreams, I admired the writing and the life-model which Kerouac represented (though not his poor, early end). I read On The Road in high school and was hooked. My first semester in col...
And this is the neat corner!!
ReplyDelete